The Hortobágyi Csárda, a state-owned restaurant in a more than 300-year-old building next to the famous Nine Arch Bridge, is still closed, despite recently undergoing a European Union-financed renovation, which was followed by a ceremonial reopening attended by agriculture ministers of the EU on May 30. According to Népszabadság, the renovation of the building was part of a development program worth Ft 535 million (nearly €2 million), 90% of which was paid by the EU.
One day after the opening ceremony in May, the restaurant closed again, and the manager of the building, the Hortobágy National Park, said it would open on July 1.
As this did not happen, the paper contacted operator Hortobágyi Nonprofit Kft. which said a few minor repairs had been needed, and there had been a leak. Lawyer János Orosz, representative of the company, added the csárda would open in a few weeks.